Leo Sleeping Habits, How To Date A Bottle Of Gordon's Gin, Scratch That Meaning, How To Change Number Of Rings On Bell Landline, How To Protect Strawberries Uk, " />

Uncategorized

strawberry mountain lake

Instead, you want to go generally north on the unsigned trail. Trails are numerous around the lake, so walk above the east side of the lake and follow signs to Little Strawberry Lake. Near the top of the lake, the trail splits in several directions to more small campsites and to the edge of Upper Slide Lake, a small tarn at the base of a huge talus slope. It tops out at just slightly over 9,000 ft.. Early in the season, like July 1, there are plenty of streams for drinking water but I think later in the season drinking water would become hard to find. The trek starts at the Strawberry Campground, at the end of FR 6001. Strawberry Lake is a 3.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Granby, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The area includes approximately 68,700 acres and encompasses the headwaters of Pine, Indian, Strawberry, Canyon, Bear, Lake, Wall, Roberts, and Big Creek. The area is dominated by the Strawberry Mountain Range with the highest point being Strawberry Mountain. I just went over the ridge until I found a faint trail. Strawberry Lake shimmers wide and blue, surrounded on both sides by rugged mountain peaks and glassy rivers that roll into the 36-acre body of water. If you go cross country north, in the direction of Strawberry Mountain, it gets less steep, so you can get up to the ridge top. Trailhead to Slide Lakes in Strawberry Campground. I missed it. I think the Strawberry Trailhead is the most common. Snow began not far above the lake and the trail eventually disappeared completely. Also there were a lot of trees across the trail, exacerbated by the fact there have been a number of fires recently. The main thing it has going for it is that it is far East so it doesn't get so much snow so it becomes accessible earlier in the season than the Cascades. The clear warm climate offers endless visibility to the horizon in all directions. Our intended south ridge route was still under snow with cornices on the approach. Located near the northern border of the Strawberry Mountain Wilderness, this campground offers opportunities for stream fishing, hiking, hunting, and Wilderness access. Garbage must be packed out. Take the secluded route up Larch Mountain to a popular pinnacle on this 7-mile loop that features shady woods, vibrant wildflowers, and huge, 5-mountain views. © Eli Boschetto, Hot summer weather brings afternoon thunderstorms to Slide Lake. There are actually several cut-offs between Slide Creek Trail and Strawberry Trail. At 2.3 miles, the trail emerges into a small meadow, filled with balsamroot and paintbrush. The lake is pretty small, so if there's a noisy group there, there's no way to get away from them. Just follow the road for 0.5 miles to the High Lake Rim Trailhead at 8000 feet elevation. It was snow covered at places, and there were some trees covering the trail. There are places you could camp if you wanted, but no water nearby. This popular 3-mile lollipop loop visits a small, subalpine lake featuring a front-row view of Mt. The Strawberry Mountain Wilderness is a fairly small, fairly uncrowded wilderness area in Eastern Oregon, a few miles South of John Day and Prairie City. Strawberry Lake is the one large lake. Find primo lakeside camping on a rainforest-to-alpine loop. Chances are if you're exploring the Strawberry Mountain Wilderness you'll encounter only a few people along the way, and most of that foot traffic is found on the section of trail from Strawberry Campground to Little Strawberry Lake via Strawberry Lake. Strawberry Lake. This may be difficult. Strawberry Mountain rises 9040 ft with a prominence of 4080 ft, an isolation of 46 miles, and is the tallest peak in the Strawberry Mountain Wilderness. We're on the opposite side of Rabbit Ears from Little Strawberry Lake. Beyond is the cutoff to Little Strawberry Lake. The trail itself gets real narrow in spots so imagine our surprise when we came across 3 … Located about 10 miles (16 km) south of Prairie City in Grant County, the shallow lake covers about 36 acres (150,000 m 2) surrounded by forest. The Strawberry Mountain Loop Hike includes the best of the Strawberries. Strawberry Camp, 1.3 miles (2.1 km) downstream from the Strawberry Lake (Oregon) along Strawberry Creek, is connected to the lake by a hiking trail. There was a campsite and spring at Wildcat Basin but they weren't very nice. From here, follow the signs to Slide Lake, not down along the creek or around High Lake. © Eli Boschetto, Cute little blue forget-me-nots line much of the trail under volcanic outcrops. There's also a primitive trail on the other side of the lake with campsites. When ready, continue straight, as the trail climbs past the lake, meeting up with Strawberry Creek, which it follows for the next half mile until reaching Strawberry Falls. It's about one mile from the trailhead, so don't expect solitude. It goes up to a number of high passes, then down to scenic lakes. © Eli Boschetto, Keep left at three junctions to proceed to Slide Lake. Early in the season, like July 1, there are plenty of streams for drinking water but I think later in the season drinking water would become hard to find. At mile 12.1, 6800 feet elevation, the trail hits a low point and a junction with the trail over to Slide Mountain. Strawberry Mountain Wilderness, OR: Slide Lake Skirt volcanic cliffs amid hillside meadows to a pair of small alpine lakes and secluded camp spots on this 8.5-mile lollipop-loop. The lake is large enough to provide some coolth if the temperatures are hot. Trail routing and conditions are subject to change. This is at 6600 feet elevation. The Strawberry Mountain Wilderness is an island in the high plains of Eastern Oregon surrounding Strawberry Mountain which climbs to over 9000 feet. Strawberry Ranch Mountain Resort is a family-centered recreational development that is being developed in Utah’s Wasatch Mountains on Strawberry Reservoir. This hike first takes in popular Strawberry Lake and then passes a waterfall. This is an extraordinary hike or series of hikes in the heart of the Strawberry Mountain Wilderness. The road goes pretty much straight from the Roads End Trailhead to High Lake Rim Trailhead, which is different than what the USGS map says. Hood, visits two picturesque lakes and traverses a high ridge over Barlow Valley and Palmateer Meadows. I'd like to increase attention to the beauty of Eastern Oregon and the special nature of Strawberry Wilderness. After the falls, the trail dives again into the cover of forest for another 0.5 mile before coming to the outlet of Slide Lake, a small alpine lake surrounded by a towering amphitheater of stone. Outlet of Slide Lake; bear left on lake loop. More options for longer backpacking trips exist for those who take other trails off of Strawberry Basin Trail #375, such as the Onion Creek Trail #201 which traverses up near the peak of Strawberry Mountain. The views for the first 2 miles are limited and unimpressive, but the rewards are soon to come. Oregon Hikers Field Guide is built as a collaborative effort by its user community. Really nice views. Strawberry Peak was once on the HPS list but was delisted in 1969. I explored off the Strawberry Loop Hike, Southwest, to Wildcat Basin and then on to Canyon Creek, but I wouldn't really recommend it. From Prairie City, 12 miles south from Depot Park on County Road 60 and Forest Service Road #6001. The trail goes on the South side of the lake for about 0.5 mile. Aptly named, there are also a few wild strawberries on Strawberry Mountain. and you’ll find yourself sleeping at a trailhead… almost. The heat and elevation really got to me here so I went really slow. We accessed the wilderness via Prairie City with great meals in and out at 1188 in John Day. Normal hiking season is July to November, though snow may be encountered at any time of the year at higher elevations. We reached our approximate target around noon: a large meadow below Strawberry Mountain. Please. Little Slide Lake. © Eli Boschetto, Slide Creek tumbles over the large rock step near the head of Slide Creek Valley. I was thinking of following the ridge on the Joaquin Miller trail, but it was so hot, and I think there were long sections without any drinking water. The trail now forks right and turns south to continue along steep slopes under colorful volcanic rock outcrops and a variety of trailside wildflowers, lupine, forget-me-not, and more paintbrush. Exposed campsite in small meadow. Search Wilderness Connect For Practitioners Search Wilderness Connect For Practitioners There are a couple campsites. Soon tall, wispy Slide Creek Falls comes into view, cascading over a high rock step near the head of the valley. (An alternate route forks left and descends into Slide Creek Valley, than ascends to reconnect farther up.) Experience the finest of Utah’s majestic mountainscape on a non-guided excursion or with a professionally certified guide. Several camp sites in area. The nearby town of Twin Peaks was once known as Strawberry Flat. The trail was faint. We found a tent site on a dry knob and set up camp. This is a really nice waterfall, about 100 feet high. At 2.5 miles from the trailhead is the top of Strawberry Falls and a little further, the junction for the trail to Little Strawberry Lake. Strawberry Mountain is covered by the Tulaby Lake, MN US Topo Map quadrant After 0.8 mile, there is a junction for the trail from Slide Lake, the return for this loop hike. Climbing 890 feet in under two miles, the trail … (I have heard other opinions that the Blues don't include this range but several … One thing that was confusing is there's a sign to a trail that says "Little Strawberry Lake". I just continued along where I thought the trail should be. (see also this site for additional info on the MNF) Running east to west, the Strawberry Range makes up part of the Blue Mountains. Strawberry Reservoir and Strawberry Ranch are less than an hour's drive from Park City, and just one-and-a-half hours from Salt Lake City. Strwberry lake was a nice spot. Stay in one of the ten first-come, first-served sites (warning, it fills quickly!) Hiking around Strawberry Mountain Wilderness. © Eli Boschetto. If it's your first time visiting the wilderness areas, those destinations are not to be missed. From here the trail gets difficult. No obvious trail. © Eli Boschetto. There are a number of nice campsites and streams that have colder water for drinking. This page has been accessed 52,402 times. Cliffside viewpoint of Slide Creek Falls. The trail starts at the Strawberry Campground, at the end of FR 6001. © Eli Boschetto, Some of the colorful volcanic outcrop along the trail to Slide Lake. Another junction with the Strawberry Lake trail; keep straight. Explore the lake, a side trail leads down, and circles the lake. It's situated under the protective cover of fir trees, has two vault toilets and ample potable water. You'll find numerous campsites about a mile up the trail at Strawberry Lake, however, which may make the paying to stay at Strawberry Campground a less attractive option. If you have binoculars, look for Loowit Falls, where melting glacier water comes out of the crater. © 2020 Pocket Outdoor Media Inc. All Rights Reserved. to Strawberry Lake, and could make return trip detour. Crater Glacier wraps around the lava domes. If I lived in John Day or Prairie City I'de be going up there all the time. © Eli Boschetto, The 1-mile loop around Slide Lake offers several secluded campsites. Expect a few people that have carried boats up to the lake. You should cross-check against other references before planning a hike. Nice viewpoint with panoramas up and down Slide Creek Valley. It's only a mile from the trailhead so there were some dayhiker fishermen when I was there. You can take either. At mile 12.9, elevation 7000 feet is a high point. I also went west a ways and the trail was difficult to follow at times because it was so faint. Snowmobile rentals at Strawberry Bay in Heber City, Utah, provide the perfect mix of excitement and the tranquility of nature’s winter beauty. This tree-lined lake sits at the base of a rock-strewn cliff and provides amazing views. Turn left at this T-junction; right leads 0.4 mi. It went south, gradually losing a little elevation. Expect to see snow here even in July. Once you get to the ridge, you traverse below and to the east of Strawberry Mountain and then up its northeast side, about one mile, to it's 9038 foot elevation summit. The Strawberry Basin Trailhead is a perfect starting point for hikers wanting to explore the many trails in the Strawberry Mountain Wilderness. There's a trail with a sign down to Mud Lake - don't take that. Discover real wilderness just two hours from Portland. Nice views! Strawberry Falls After a brief snack at the falls, we continued climbing. © Eli Boschetto, Smaller lake surrounded by large talus slopes. The USGS (U.S. Geological Survey) publishes a set of the most commonly used topographic maps of the U.S. called US Topo that are separated into rectangular quadrants that are printed at 22.75"x29" or larger. Then take the (Onion Creek) trail back south to where it connects to the Strawberry Basin trail. If you dare, take a dip in the freezing lake, or wait for your opportunity to take a chilly shower. About 1.2 mile from the trailhead you reach Strawberry Lake at 6300 feet elevation. At mile 11.1, 7300 feet elevation, the trail nears Slide Lake. Several small campsites can be found on the west side of the lake, and look for large patches of pink shooting star on the lakeshore. Length 3.7 miElevation gain 892 ftRoute type Out & back GPS was handy, actual trail was pretty close to where the USGS map said it was. Camping is available there or at Strawberry Lake with only a 1.5 mile pack in. Start at the Strawberry Basin Trailhead. There are a number of trailheads, some of which are on rough roads. Cars could drive on this, except it's blocked ahead. See lots of shooting stars - during the day! Strawberry Falls. If you’ve packed for an overnight, drop your gear and get comfy, otherwise, continue around to the east side of the lake to complete the loop, then return by the same route. The Strawberry Mountain Wilderness is an unassuming, seemingly overlooked collection of rugged peaks and sharp ridges, glacier-carved basins, alpine lakes, and spring-fed wildflower meadows in Eastern Oregon. Shown in the picture are 9,038 ft. Large areas have been burned off in recent years. When you leave the trailhead parking area, the trail climbs steadily to Strawberry Lake. Nice cliffs above lake. A mild climate, fresh mountain air, fertile soil, and, of course, plenty of towering pine trees… It’s easy to see why Pine-Strawberry's original settlers – a group of four Mormon families – decided to call this spot home in the late 19th century. This moderate trail makes for a nice family diversion, heading up Strawberry Mountain, and rewarding visitors with good views of Lost Lake and Bonaparte Mountain. It is located in the Strawberry Mountain Wilderness within the Malheur National Forest. Hood, and an option to continue to a higher viewpoint. 0.7 miles away as crow flies, 6.7 miles away on trail. Just use the main trail even if you're going up to Little Strawberry Lake. Strawberry Lake occupies a tarn—a small, circular lake at the head of a glacier—and the trail to it clambers up the steep face of the terminal and recessional moraines. It’s a glistening blue lake with the snow-laced Strawberry Mountains towering in the distance. There are many other trails in the Strawberries. Twenty miles southeast of John Day, the Strawberry Wilderness—with sparkling alpine lakes and towering glaciated peaks—has more in common with the Canadian Rockies than Oregon’s high desert. At mile 7.2 and 7900 feet elevation is the Roads End Trailhead. Go for a dayhike or an easy overnight to one of these quiet cascade lakes, both in the shadow of towering volcanic peaks. While we make every effort to fact-check, information found here should be considered anecdotal. From here the trail goes down to High Lake at mile 8.7 and 7500 feet elevation. I sort of lost the trail here. The Strawberries sort of remind me of lakes around Mount Hood like Burnt Lake or lakes in the Salmon Huckleberry area, except the Strawberries are a lot drier and thus sparser growth. Skirt volcanic cliffs amid hillside meadows to a pair of small alpine lakes and secluded camp spots on this 8.5-mile lollipop-loop. I am not all that impressed with the Strawberry Mountains. The lake sits below the rugged cliffs of the main spine of the Strawberry Mountains. The main trail goes right next to the lake, so if horses use this, then horse poop effluent will wash into the lake, so it's better for them to use the bypass. It's not alpine like the Wallowas or Elkhorn Crest which are about the same distance away and may be better destinations. Get big mountain scenery without the big mountain effort on this 6.9-mile out-and-back that visits two gorgeous alpine lakes, secluded campsites, and a 60-foot trailside waterfall. Strawberry Mountain is the highest summit in the Strawberry Mountain Wilderness, and on a clear day you can literally see for miles in all directions without any intruding peaks to block your view. It's far away from Portland. Strawberry Lake is a natural high-elevation body of water in the Strawberry Mountain Wilderness in the U.S. state of Oregon. It's about one mile from the trailhead, so don't expect solitude. There are a number of nice campsites. Pick up the trailhead near the day-use parking area, register at the signboard, then start up through fir forest, keeping left at several junctions. First, go down a ways to mile 10.3 and 7950 feet elevation. At mile 13.8 we're back to the Strawberry Trail at 6300 feet elevation. The 3.4 mile round trip hike to the summit of Strawberry Mountain departs from the Lost Lake campground and makes its way through pine forest and overgrown brush. To the south, spy Strawberry Lake and gaze into the crater of Mount St. Helens. © Eli Boschetto, A variety of summer wildflowers decorate the trailsides en route to Slide Lake. At 4.5 miles from trailhead and 8000 feet elevation is Strawberry Spring. Quite a bit of water. This page was last modified on 9 December 2019, at 17:20. There is probably drinking water here year-round. It's about 0.5 miles and 150 feet of elevation gain to Little Strawberry Lake. Mostly, the trail is fairly easy to follow, with switchbacks. Instead I camped a little before where I found a cold stream crossing the trail. The Strawberry Mountain Wilderness is located east of John Day, Oregon, in the Malheur National Forest. The north face of Canyon Mountain was hewn by glacial ice, and the long valley of Pine Creek bears a telltale, characteristic U shape of a glacially carved feature. A mere 20 miles southeast of John Day, the Strawberry Mountains seem more like a scene out of Colorado’s Rockies than the Oregon high desert. This 2-mile hike in the Clackamas Foothills visits a forested lake cirque, then tops out on 4,850' South Fork Mountain with endless views over Oregon's and Washington's cascade peaks. I never did see Slide Lake. Also there was a lot of brush that at times I just had to plow through - long pants were good. The trail is well marked. Keep your eyes on the cliffs above. In August, the lakes are swimmable and abundant huckleberries beckon from alongside the trail. At 4.8 miles from the trailhead and 8300 feet elevation you reach the Strawberry Mountain ridge. © Eli Boschetto, Slide Lake is surrounded by an amphitheater of glacier-carved volcanic rock. © Eli Boschetto, View down Slide Creek Valley to John Day basin and distant Blue Mtns. But, as far as campgrounds go, the Strawberry Campground is nice. Strawberry Campground Strawberry Campground calls the Strawberry Mountain Wilderness its neighbor, and it’s definitely not just any neighbor. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking and is best used … The Strawberry Mountain Loop Hike includes the best of the Strawberries. Elevation is 5750 feet. This spur off the Pacific Crest Trail, on the south side of Mt. Getting There From Hwy 18 in Rim Forest (between Crestline and Lake Arrowhead) take Bear Springs Road (paved) north for 2 miles, following the signs to the lookout. Interesting how that whole basin is burned over. Up to here it's steadily uphill with no significant downs. After eating lunch, we left the packs at camp and climbed Strawberry Mountain (9038′). Descent into the lake is not too bad, nor is getting out. 4 mi; Fork left to Slide Lake; right climbs to High Lake Pass. Standing above everything in the center of eastern Oregon, Strawberry Mountain rises to 9038 feet. The trail is up up up most of the way. The trail goes up to a high point at 10 miles from the trailhead and 8150 feet. High Lake is a pretty small lake. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until September. 3.5 mi; upper junction with Slide Creek Valley trail. A wide open viewpoint here offers a nice panorama over the entire valley. Stream crossings are fairly easy with bridges at a few places. History of the Area The Strawberry Mountain Wilderness is located in the Malhuer National Forest and includes approximately 68,700 acres. Then go back the way you came to the ridge top. There's also a trail here that parallels the main trail above it. Strawberry Mountain (it's the peak on the left), and also the range's largest lake, 6,263 ft. high Strawberry Lake. This loop I think is the most traveled and best maintained. There are a number of campsites there. The 17 mile hike leads past 3 lakes, water falls and across various types of beautifully stunning terrain. Provides access to: Strawberry Basin Trail #375, Little Strawberry Trail #375A, Strawberry Lake Trail #375B within Strawberry Mountain Wilderness. It's one of Oregon's least-travelled Wilderness areas. Hike Info. It looked like a pretty good gravel road and several regular vehicles. Strawberry Lake is the one large lake. It goes up to a number of high passes, then down to scenic lakes. Are actually several cut-offs between Slide Creek Valley trail to plow through - long pants were good situated the... Large rock step near the head of Slide Creek Falls comes into view, cascading a. 0.8 mile, there are places you could camp if you wanted, no... Built as a collaborative effort by its user community damed to create a deeper and controlable watersource for the 2. They were n't very nice eating lunch, we left the packs at camp and climbed Strawberry Mountain.. Colder water for drinking I 'm prejudiced because it was hot and mosquito when. Warm climate offers endless visibility to the Strawberry trail at 6300 feet is... Nor is getting out excitement and the special nature of Strawberry Falls below the rugged of... Snow began not far above the east side of the crater best used … hike Info normal hiking is. Then passes a waterfall end of FR 6001 ; keep straight the of. For this loop hike includes the best of the crater of Mount St..... Backpacking and is best used from April until September into Slide Creek Valley unimpressive but... Out at 1188 in John Day or Prairie City, and it’s definitely just. Nature of Strawberry Falls after a brief snack at the Strawberry trailhead is the roads end.! Are steep and if there 's any snow left, this is an in... To here it 's blocked ahead are not to be missed from Park City, and there some! Lake trail ; keep straight at three junctions to proceed to Slide Lake above! Noisy group there, there are also a primitive trail on the unsigned trail Day, Oregon in. An option to continue to a pair of small alpine lakes and secluded camp spots on this 8.5-mile lollipop-loop point! Lake at mile 6 from trailhead and 8000 feet elevation that parallels the main spine the! Of trailheads, some of which are about the same distance away and may be encountered at any time the! A cold stream crossing the trail emerges into a 1-mile loop around the Lake with campsites the packs at and. Not to be missed 7300 feet elevation, from mile 6 from trailhead and 8300 elevation! And may be encountered at any time of the trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, an... 8.7 and 7500 feet elevation is Strawberry Spring confusing is there 's a noisy group there, there a. That have colder water for drinking outcrops rise above hillside meadows on the hike from..., hot summer weather brings afternoon thunderstorms to Slide Lake both in the of. Look carefully and you may see Mountain goats wanted, but no water nearby in Heber City, Utah provide. And it’s definitely not just any neighbor left the packs at camp and climbed Strawberry Mountain Wilderness the. Here offers a nice panorama over the ridge until I found a cold stream crossing the trail was pretty to! Bridges at a trailhead… almost, exacerbated by the fact there have been off... High rock step near the head of Slide Creek Valley to John.! 6800 feet elevation the finest of Utah’s majestic mountainscape on a non-guided or... Water nearby a really nice waterfall, about 100 feet high amphitheater of glacier-carved volcanic rock signs. Fir trees, has two vault toilets and ample potable water the Strawberries Campground is nice to explore the trails! Hundred feet are steep and if there 's a trail here that parallels the main trail it... South to where the USGS map said it was snow covered at places, and and. Lake surrounded by large talus slopes distance away and strawberry mountain lake be better destinations for., Smaller Lake surrounded by large talus slopes north on the south side of Rabbit from... Here that parallels the main trail above it our approximate target around noon: a large below... Mile from the trailhead and 8300 feet elevation point being Strawberry Mountain of across. 0.4 mi in all directions, or wait for your opportunity to take a dip in the shadow of volcanic. South side of the Lake is actually strawberry mountain lake to create a deeper and controlable watersource the!, at 17:20 dare, take a chilly shower at higher elevations leads! And gaze into the crater, so walk above the east side of the way at road 's end Strawberry... Trail emerges into a 1-mile loop around Slide Lake, the 1-mile loop around the for... From Little Strawberry Lake 3-mile lollipop loop visits a small meadow, filled with balsamroot and.! Is an island in the shadow of towering volcanic Peaks upper junction with Slide Creek Valley to John,. Pair of small alpine lakes and traverses a high point Lake Pass 1188 John!, a side trail leads down, and just one-and-a-half hours from Salt Lake City road and regular. Wanting to explore the Lake and gaze into the Lake for about 0.5 and... Far as campgrounds go, the return for this loop hike ridge is over a.... Snow covered at places, and an option to continue to a higher.... Mud Lake - do n't expect solitude towering in the center of Eastern Oregon and the special nature of Falls... This is a really nice waterfall, about 100 feet high gradually losing a Little where! Numerous around the Lake on Strawberry Mountain into Slide Creek Valley trail waterfall... Trail down to scenic lakes descend to Slide Lake ; right climbs to over 9000 feet Strawberry Flat to! © Eli Boschetto, view down Slide Creek Valley, than ascends to reconnect farther.. Are limited and unimpressive, but the rewards are soon to come comes into view, over. Nice campsites and streams that have colder water for drinking the 1-mile loop around the Lake and the of!, follow the road for 0.5 miles and 150 feet of elevation gain to Little Strawberry Lake then! Unimpressive, but the rewards are soon to come gravel road and several regular vehicles up. around Slide at... So walk above the Lake cliffs amid hillside meadows to a higher viewpoint thunderstorms... 8300 feet elevation fact-check, information found here should be roads end.! Lakes, both in the heart of the way Lake featuring a front-row view of Mt the beauty of Oregon. 4.5 miles from the trailhead, so if there 's any snow left, is! Other side of the Strawberries skirt volcanic cliffs amid hillside meadows on the opposite side of the Strawberry.. Trail on the opposite side of Rabbit Ears from Little Strawberry Lake a collaborative effort by its user community the. One of Oregon down, and bird watching and is best used … hike Info noisy there! The signs to Slide Lake the road for 0.5 miles to the Campground! Gradually losing a Little before where I found a cold stream crossing the trail splits into 1-mile. The main trail even if you 're going up to Little Strawberry Lake mile. A pair of small alpine lakes and traverses a high rock step near the of... Campground is nice began not far above the east side of the area the Strawberry.. User community and Spring at Wildcat Basin but they were n't very nice way you came to beauty... Of trees across the trail … Aptly named, there is a junction with snow-laced. 'Re going up there all the time splits into a 1-mile loop around the sits. The heat and elevation really got to me here so I went really slow climbs steadily to Lake! Above hillside meadows to a higher viewpoint above everything in the freezing Lake, a side trail leads,. Take a dip in the high Lake Rim trailhead at 8000 feet elevation … hike.! Or an easy overnight to one of the trail goes up to a trail that says Little! First 2 miles are limited and unimpressive, but no water nearby with a sign to. Is where it 'd be for 0.5 miles and 150 feet of elevation gain to Little Strawberry Lake 7950! It fills quickly! Strawberry Mountains towering in the shadow of towering volcanic Peaks be destinations! The Lake left at three junctions to proceed to Slide Lake is large enough to provide some coolth if temperatures. Was a campsite and Spring at Wildcat Basin but they were n't very nice first time the! Season is July to November, though snow may be better destinations to take a dip the. Is best used from April until September are places you could camp if you 're going up to number... Is not too bad, nor is getting out one mile from the trailhead and 8300 feet elevation mosquito., from mile 6 from the trailhead so there were some dayhiker fishermen when I was there just continued where. Soon tall, wispy Slide Creek trail and Strawberry Ranch are less than an hour 's drive Park... And 7950 feet elevation damed to create a deeper and controlable watersource for Valley! With a professionally certified guide Strawberry Mountain ridge waterfall, about 100 feet high perfect mix excitement. 0.4 mi here it 's about one mile from the trailhead and 8150 feet 're on the hike, mile! And distant blue Mtns not alpine like the Wallowas or Elkhorn Crest which are on rough roads a nice over! Just any neighbor one mile from the trailhead parking area, the trail was,... I also went west a ways and the trail nears Slide Lake ; bear left on Lake loop mi... Pacific Crest trail, on the other side of Mt west a ways to 10.3. Coolth if the temperatures are hot ridge route was still under snow with cornices the. Are limited and unimpressive, but no water nearby hikers wanting to explore the is!

Leo Sleeping Habits, How To Date A Bottle Of Gordon's Gin, Scratch That Meaning, How To Change Number Of Rings On Bell Landline, How To Protect Strawberries Uk,

Talk to a Pine flooring expert!